Old 16-11-2004, 12:40 AM
John Savage

"Rod Out back" writes:
I am in the latter stages of building a new chook-house (dubbed the
Chook-Mahal, or Taj-Machook). I am seeking any thoughts or ideas about

Whatever tree you put in, the chooks will lie in its shade and excavate
basins as they take dust baths in the cool soil. Perhaps a raised
timber platform around the new trees for a few years will allow them to
become established while still letting the chooks get in the shade?

The chooks will enjoy the fallen mulberries, provided the district's
birds don't get to them first. A choko vine might do well and it dies
right back in winter.

If your location suffers the predations of mosquitoes, consider making
their night roost fully mosquito-proof, otherwise the birds will be
hopping from one leg to the other and not getting a lot of sleep; maybe
egg production will suffer. (Though by the sound of things, you probably
apply mosquito repellent at night, anyway!)

But I was wondering about air-conditioning .....
and soft muzak to dream by ....
.... and an integrated worm farm.