Old 15-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Bob Hobden

"Phil L" wrote after...
jim chadwick wrote:
:: It used to be said that garlic should be planted on the shortest
:: day and harvested on the longest.It was a fine day on Saturday, so
:: rather than lose the chance I planted 22 cloves there and then.
:: But can anyone tell me if this fits in with the old lunar cycle
:: agriculture?

When you say '22 cloves' do you mean just the normal garlic cloves from
the
shops?, will any garlic do?
Or is it better to sow from seeds?

- I definately want garlic next summer.

You can plant the stuff from the shops but it is probably foreign grown and
not a variety suitable for this country. I did that for a number of years
until I once bought proper Uk suitable "seed" garlic from Marshalls and the
difference was enough that I now buy the special garlic to plant every year.
I also find we need to plant it early enough so that it's a good 6 inches
tall before winter really sets in or we will lose some. Probably due to our
soil, cold clay/silt.

--
Regards
Bob