Old 15-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Gary Woods

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

I did that for a number of years
until I once bought proper Uk suitable "seed" garlic from Marshalls and the
difference was enough that I now buy the special garlic to plant every year.

Why not keep some of your own garlic, acclimated to your particular
situation, rather than buy new each year?

In the Northeastern U.S., I don't want garlic tops to show in the fall,
because they will likely be winter damaged and cost the cloves valuable
energy. But I suspect my earth freezes deeper and sooner than most of the
UK. I'm just finishing my planting now, really a few weeks too late. I'll
use enough mulch to let the cloves get well rooted before things freeze
solid.

I didn't comment on that "plant on the shortest day; harvest on the
longest," because that's wildly wrong for much of the world, and apparently
not so hot for the UK either!