Old 16-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Sarah Dale contains these words:

The victoria plum tree pretty much looks after itself. Prune once a
year, a good feed once a year, pick fruit and eat it!

My book says never prune plum trees unless it's really necessary.
Pruning them can stop them from fruiting.

Typical book advice - simplified to the point of meaninglessness.

As I understand it, they fruit on old wood (typically the previous
years's), much like most of the Rosaceae trees. So, provided that
you leave a decent amount of that, you will get fruit.

I pruned my damson hard - and why? If I had not, it would have
fruited on long, straggly branches, which would then have broken.
No, I am not guaranteeing that I pruned it to best effect.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.