Old 16-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Jim

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
news:1100623307.0t6NknLIfP1w+U9q1K7L/Q@teranews...
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:27:16 -0000, Richard Sterry wrote:

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message

Wasps.
They scrape off bits of wood to make pulp for their nests.

*DING*

Well guessed. Yes, one day I was sitting on the bench a couple of metres
from the shed, fixing a bicycle puncture I think. I could hear this
persistent little scratching noise, and at first I thought it was a

small
rodent or a bird. Eventually, I found it was a wasp scratching away at

the
'decorative' barge board on the front of the shed - it acted like a

sounding
board. I've seen quite a few of the blighters at my shed, as it was a

real
bumper year for wasps. I knew that wasps needed wood to make their

nests,
but I had supposed they used decaying wood as a source, not my blinking
shed!

Me too!

The shed is only 2 years old, and when it was delivered it was saturated

in
wood preservative, but I guess it's no longer smelly enough to put the

wasps
off. I'm wondering if I will have to use some Cuprinol on it, and if

that
will discourage them for a year or two. Ideas?

Rick

I noticed it more or less the same way, except I was sitting on my kid's
swing drinking a beer, and they were nibbling the legs of the frame.
I've no idea what will deter them, sorry.

--
Tim C

Try to live with it. If - after 200 years- the shed is showing signs of
collapse stand guard with a strong fly swat. Worked for me.