Old 16-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Duncan Heenan

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Duncan Heenan
writes

More people die in bed than anywhere else, so statistically laying in bed
is
the most dangerous thing you can do.

Rubbish.

You may be seeking a clever way to make a point, but please don't
denigrate a serious science in doing so.
--
Kay

What serious science do you refer to? Medicine or Statistics?
I was using twisted irony to illustrate the difficulty in some cases of
deciding causality when interpreting statistical data, which has been
something I've been involved in professionally for much of my adult life. I
find that in serious issues it often helps to exercise one's sense of
humour; I apologise that in this case it led to a failure in yours. Serious
science doesn't have to be solemn science.
As for Medicine, I am still waiting for the apology from the medical world
for forcing me to drink full fat milk at school, because 'it was good for
me', and now condemning me when I do so. I was also taught at school that
sunshine was good for me, and now I'm told it's not. I wonder what the next
fashion in that 'serious science' will be?