Old 17-11-2004, 06:54 AM
Salty Thumb

Mike Prager §kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu wrote in
:

Salty Thumb wrote:

anybody know when Bay (as in the little mini-tree used for spice) is

in
season (no pun intended) in zone 6/7?

L. nobilis may not do too well in your area. Most sites give
it as hardy to 8 (even 8b). I grow it in 8a, but we haven't
had a deep freeze for a while.

I expect that if you find it in your garden centers, it would
be from late spring through the summer.

If you have a sheltered spot, it's probably worth a try. It
sure beats paying $5 for a tiny bottle of bay leaves (which
often are the inferior California bay).

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Thanks for the info. I was planning on growing it indoors (at least
during the winter), in a movable container (despite warnings about herbs
not doing too well indoors). Since it supposely is going to turn into a
tree, that's probably an insane idea.

I'm still at the stage of not knowing what I am getting myself into, but
yeah the prices are insane. I don't remember if it was bay or not but I
remember seeing one item in the spice aisle at a regular grocery store
for $14.