Old 17-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Kalkin

I don't, but it can be had mail-order as soon as hard freezes are over
between you and the supplier. Quite a few mail-order nurseries sell it. I
could look one up for you...but you might want to decide whether you really
want one. Forestfarm in Oregon has it

www.forestfarm.com

and they run a reputable nursery, tho it is far from you.

It will probably need to be kept in a pot and brought indoors or better yet
a cool greenhouse for the winter.

I am writing about Laurus nobilis. Although it is the original source of bay
leaves used in cooking, one of its relations from the West Coast of the USA
is the current commercial source of bay leaf sold in grocery stores. It is
a MUCH larger, faster-growing, and much tougher tree, Umbellularia
californica. I don't know if it would make it in a hard zone 6 winter but
probably z7; in any case it is cold-hardier than its Grecian cousin. It is
ultimately too big to keep in a pot tho I suppose it could be kept that way
for some years.

It grows in full blazing sun or deep shade. It is not picky about soil. It
is really an amazing tree. It's easier to grow than Laurus nobilis, and
more prolific, which is why it's being used as a substitute. The leaves
actually contain more bay oil than L. nobilis, so much so that it gives
some people a headache. It also can be had mail-order; Forestfarm would
usually have it

www.forestfarm.com

I have one, but in a much milder climate (z8b, Seattle). Mine is in deep,
dry shade (which it tolerates quite well), and is only about 5 feet tall
(ultimately it will hit about 75 feet tall), dwarfed by its poor site.
Quite healthy, tho.

Regards,

Atar

Salty Thumb wrote:

anybody know when Bay (as in the little mini-tree used for spice) is in
season (no pun intended) in zone 6/7?