Old 17-11-2004, 12:15 PM
jane

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:45:42 GMT, Gary wrote:

~On 11/16/04 10:12 AM, in article ,
~"Rod" wrote:
~
~ On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:57:23 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
~ wrote:
~
~
~ Our ground does have a bit of White Rot in patches so I try not to plant any
~ alliums I've grown to try to stop it spreading. We lose a few onions every
~ year but not enough to make us stop growing them.
~
~ We're in the same predicament here but we cope in much the same way as
~ you do. Planted our Garlic(Marshalls) last week, we probably won't get
~ much in the way of frost here 'til late December so plenty of time to
~ get their roots down.
~
~ =================================================
~
~ Rod
~
~ Weed my email address to reply.
~
~I planted my garlic on Nov 5...I know cause I wrote it down! They were ready
~as I could see the little white roots 'reaching'. I'm using the hard neck
~variety as opposed to the soft neck...anyone know the difference? Taste?
~Other? Ease of growing?

Hard neck ones seem to have fewer cloves, but bigger ones, and they're
easier to peel in my experience. I grow Marco, mostly. Also you get a
flower spike - which you cut off when small and still facing downwards
to stop it taking energy from the bulb, and which you can put in
stir-fries etc.

You can't plait them properly, but it's a small cost for the easier
peeling.

--
jane

Mark Twain