Old 17-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:
| I know some couples who live on large boats in Kent; a few times a
| year the spring tides flood the gardens at their moorings. I haven't
| yet been involved long enough to be sure which plants can take it in
| the long term and which can't (except that I see half a dozen cornus
| alba caved in completely in a few months).
|
| Has anybody got any experience or knowledge of this fascinating
| garden problem?

It's worth taking a look at what grows in southern Cornwall - I am
pretty sure that the oaks around the Helford estuary, for example,
get soaked regularly. Not by flooding, but by a high tide being
driven by the wind. There are quite a lot of other places around
the country that have similar properties.

I am pretty sure that tamarisk can take it, but it likes sand.
And there are a lot of herbaceous plants that grow very close to
the tide marks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.