Old 17-11-2004, 12:57 PM
David

Thanks to every-one for the advice, I'm just waiting for the builder to
finish the wall then I can get planting!

regards,

David

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "David" contains these words:

The phormiums would give a "wow" factor, although my books tend to
suggest that they need winter protection?

They do fine on the west coast,but we're quite a bit warmer than your
side. Binny's would be able to advise you.

Finally my local
nursery convinced me that a fatsia japonica which they sold me should
withstand the winter, hopefully as they have grown them they will be

right,
anyways I've kept the receipt!

Tough as old boots, and very attractive. In cold weather (minus 18 C
or so) the leaves will fold down in a dismal way, but they return to
normal as it thaws.

Janet.