Old 17-11-2004, 01:48 PM
TRAINMAN9

I am under the (possibly false) impression that one purpose of judging is to
reward desirable plants (sort of a "reverse culling" process), which
ultimately leads to replication

It is the flowers that are supposed to be judged but many times when a plant is
submitted for judging it is evaluated along with the flowers. I have submitted
a number of plants for judging at the local judging center and sometimes they
failed to vote for an award saying that the plant was too small and bring it
back when it grows up. What would have happened if I simply submitted a cut
flower. I don't know.

You are right in one respect that most orchid hobbiests would be disapointed
with a plant that exhibited some of the characteristics that have been
discribed even if it was awarded.