Old 17-11-2004, 09:19 PM
Katra

In article ,
(Mark) wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:40 -0600, clc wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
My rosemary plant went from a spindly little sprig to a big woody bush
(14" across/high) over the course of the summer, despite frequent
trimming for various culinary exercises.

I have dug it up and put it into a pot with some of the soil from its
garden bed.

What is the best way to ensure a good watering level? The bed it was
in was well-drained, and we rarely watered the garden this year thanks
to frequent-enough rains. Inside, the atmosphere is going to be a lot
drier, and I wonder if there are any easy tips on making sure the
plant gets the right amount of water.

Any ideas?

Mark

Good luck with it - I tried bringing it in for 4 years and it was always
dead within a month. I think my conditions were just too dry...?

Cheryl

Same here. I've tried several times but they always die. I just buy new
plants every spring.

My hope is that I can find a trick that keeps a rosemary plant alive
for years. I remember seeing a huge "mother plant" in a nursery long
ago; it must have been 5-6' high, 8' across and it had a main stem
about 4" in diameter. The nursery evidently took cuttings from it to
propogate new plants.

Mark

My Rosemary plant is 3 years old now. I just leave it in the ground over
the winter. The herb bed is on the west side, right next to the
foundation of the house. My sage, thyme, dittany, oregano and mexican
oregano have also been wintering over in the ground. I have two
varieties of sage and two varieties of thyme, and this year I put in a
new curry plant and am hoping it also survives.

The longest I ever had a rosemary live was 8 years, but I think that one
died because it got shaded out...

During the winter, I just cover the herb bed with a tent of old white
sheets when it's going to freeze. I think the location being right next
the house keeps them warm...

It helps that I'm in central Texas tho' so our winters are not as cold.
It might drop down into the teens when we get a hard freeze!

I'd recommend that, if you have to bring Rosemary inside during the
winter, that you start it and KEEP it in a large pot all year and keep
it outside as much as possible! Only bring it in when there is a freeze
warning.

Use sandy soil.

Kat

--