Old 17-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Mike

Sure, sure. As a statistician you understand the problems. The clot
who says "My grandad smoked forty a day and lived to 97", however,
does not understand the statistical basis of epidemiology, and is
usually drawing an inference you would not draw. You know that
knowledge advances unevenly, and with set-backs; and there are indeed
intellectual fashions; but even the least solemn medical science does
discover facts.

My father smoked 40 a day and died when he was 52 (He would have been 100 on
Friday as it happens.) My wife's Grandfather who also smoked 40 a day (and I
used to bring my allocation from the Royal Navy for him) lived into his
90's. I don't smoke and am knocking on towards 70 :-)))) Make out of that
what you will :-))))

My Doctor gave me 6 months to live over 10 years ago. Overweight and High
Blood pressure. Weight down. Blood pressure down, and much to the annoyance
of many subscribers to this newsgroup, ........

I AM STILL HERE :-)))))))))))))))

Mike
(with more friends than enemies :-))