Old 17-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Chris Hogg

On 17 Nov 2004 06:05:36 -0800, (bruce phipps)
wrote:

I am soon moving into a new house. It has a 7 foot pampas grass plant
bang in front of the lounge window.
I wish to remove the pampas grass.

What is the best procedure -- chop back to 3 inches, then dig out?
How deep are the roots on these things?

Thanks
Bruce

Get well togged up with protective clothing and heavy garden gloves:
the 'leaves' have very sharp edges. Then cut it down as low as you can
with sharp garden shears (a hedge trimmer might do). Then hack out the
stump bit by bit with a grub-axe (like a pick-axe, but with a mattock
blade on one side and an axe blade on the other). Go round the edge,
gradually making it a smaller and smaller clump. The roots only go
down a few inches. Took me less than an hour to take out a 5 foot
pampas (but I was absolutely knackered for the rest of the day!)

--
Chris