Old 18-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Pam - gardengal

Pummelo is a tropical or semi-tropical member of the citrus family related
to grapefruit. I doubt very much whether you could grow one successfully in
zone 7 - most citrus need a zone 9 or higher climate. I doubt the mango will
be very long-lived either.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/m...o.html#Culture

Doug, FWIW, pummelos are delicious - very juicy and slightly sweeter than a
very good grapefruit (of which they are a parent species). I'd have to
assume that the one you tasted was insufficiently ripe. Hard to tell with
all that fleshy pulp and skin surrounding them. I love 'em, but eating one
is a complicated process to remove the flesh from all that thick wrapping
:-))

As an aside, pummelo reminds me of the French word for grapefruit, which is
pamplemousse. Don't know why but this strikes me a being a rather humorous
word.

pam - gardengal

"Mira" wrote in message
I'm not sure if home grown are better than you can find in the stores. In
where I live (zone 7), these fruits are rare to find and rarely in the
Chinese store. I just found some recently in Costco and they're not as
mature as I want it as virtually no seeds inside. It would be nice to have
them in my garden and be available when I want to eat them..if they can

grow
in my zone. I bought this big juicy mango from the grocery and is growing
( 7 feet now) from a seed in my backyard. It may not bear fruit but I will
take a chance.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Are the home grown ones better than what's found in the stores? I just

had
my first one and it had as much character as cardboard soaked in milk.

:-)

"Mira" wrote in message
Does anyone have red Pummelo tree? if you have, can you spare some

seeds
for
me? I would like to plant them in my garden.
Thanks,

--
http://home.comcast.net/~miralyn