Old 18-11-2004, 05:35 PM
David Ross

Pati Rock wrote:

It sounds lazy, but I was wondering if piling leaves upon bulb beds, shrub
beds, etc is beneficial at all or is it necessary to mulch completely?

thanks,

Pati

I do it without shredding. It's great around roses, camellias,
azaleas, and other shrubs. In the summer, this keeps the soil cool
and moist, reducing the amount of watering I have to do.

But you have to be careful about not covering desirable plants.
It's too easy to smother low-growing plants (e.g., ground cover).
Be sure that you don't pile the leaves higher than small bulbs can
grow.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/