Old 18-11-2004, 07:18 PM
paghat

In article _w4nd.12765$tI3.9725@trndny01, "Pati Rock" wrote:

It sounds lazy, but I was wondering if piling leaves upon bulb beds, shrub
beds, etc is beneficial at all or is it necessary to mulch completely?

thanks,

Pati

Its what I do & the gardens certainly seem to benifit by it. With our wet
temperate winters on Puget Sound, there's nothing left of the leaves but a
few skeletons by early spring, it's all the world's best leafmold in no
time. I was pleased to see one of our local television gardening stars on
Gardening with Cisco in one episode going all "Oo-la-la!" at the joy of
mulching with leaves in his garden in autumn, & giddily worried about
those people who foolishly bag their leaves & sit them on the curb for the
city compost.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"