Old 18-11-2004, 07:26 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereus-validus..." wrote:

Its best to either compost it or run it through a shredder first.

But if you mix the leaves into the general heap of composted matter, you
don't end up with leafmold, which is great stuff for the garden. And
unless you have gigantic leaves there is no reason to shred. Extremely
large leaves might function as a water barrier keeping the ground too dry
in spots. Most of the leaves that fall in my yard are beeches, hornbeam,
cherries, Japanese maples, oak -- & others all small enough to not need
mulching. I get a few big leaves from a Bigleaf maple that's not in my
yard but sheds into my yard, & these as much as I can manage I put on an
area of tulip bulbs which can benefit from the slight ability of the
largest leaves to provide a winter water barrier for a short while before
breaking down into leafmold.

I dunno how well it'd work in much colder areas where it takes longer for
leaves to break down, but I would think fallen leaves would be the most
natural mulch possible, anywhere where deciduous trees would be growing.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"