Old 18-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Cereus-validus...

I do it without shredding.
But you have to be careful about not covering desirable plants.
It's too easy to smother low-growing plants (e.g., ground cover).
Be sure that you don't pile the leaves higher than small bulbs can
grow.

That's why it is best to shred the leaves. It prevents that problem from
happening in the first place.

"David Ross" wrote in message
Pati Rock wrote:

It sounds lazy, but I was wondering if piling leaves upon bulb beds,

shrub
beds, etc is beneficial at all or is it necessary to mulch completely?

thanks,

Pati

I do it without shredding. It's great around roses, camellias,
azaleas, and other shrubs. In the summer, this keeps the soil cool
and moist, reducing the amount of watering I have to do.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.