Old 12-11-2004, 03:10 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:45:10 GMT, "Jim Carlock"
wrote:

One other question... involving basil. I know basil will die
if I let it bloom. If I let it bloom will it seed itself and create
more basil plants? And if I have sweet basil next to purple
basil next to lemon basil... what can I expect if I let them
all bloom?

Basil reseeds like crazy in my yard. I don't know how much
it cross pollinates, but I find versions of Lettuce leaf, lemon,
Italian, and cinnamon basil growing in the lawn, in clay, through
the fence, and in the flower beds. I just crush a leaf on any of
the plants and sniff to figure out which one it is if I can't
tell by the leaf. If it doesn't have a good, strong scent; it
gets pulled up.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"