Old 15-11-2004, 04:50 AM
Steve

someone wrote:
Out here in the wilds of central England we call large
zucchinis...marrows. Personally I think they're awful: watery veg not
worth growing, but lots of old geezers here love to grow them and enter
them in veg. growing competitions in the autumn. As far as I'm
concerned, marrows are only good for throwing at cats, dogs and birds.

Yeah, few things from the garden are as worthless as over grown
zucchinis. I never know what to say when someone brags about growing
zucchini 2 feet long. Often it's a non gardener expressing amazement
about how good a gardener their neighbor is.
These people simply don't have enough sense to pick them when they are
still edible.
Having said that, I often end up with some giant ones in the fall. By
then the other vegetables are all being eaten and we are a little tired
of zucchini so, they get let go.
My wife used to make good zucchini bread from the big ones. (Throw away
all the soft part near the seeds and shred up the firm part near the
skin.) I suspect that almost any vegetable could be ground up and used
in the recipe and it would be about as good. .... and, as I said, if I
grow some of the yellow ones, they also make funny jack-o-lanterns for
halloween.

Steve