Old 18-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Kenni Judd

Let me start by saying that I don't know Jack about Cymbidiums. I do know
that there are orchids which will tolerate a pretty fair amount of salt -- I
have seen Schombos. growing on palm trees on the beach in Belize, where they
were hanging out over the water and obviously could not avoid getting some
sal****er on them during high winds/seas. But I don't think it's anything
you want to do on purpose.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Damage Control" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone heard of misting or watering cymbidiums with sea water? I
was told that cymbidiums are somewhat coastal, getting "salt air"
accompanied by the occasional typhoon and need periodic treatment of
"salty water" to maintain their vigor inland. I know that they can be
grown in the gulf states and California as outdoor plants, and as I've
seen, are absolutely gorgeous.

I haven't been able to verify the information, and wondered if anyone
in the group had heard of it, tried it, what concentration, and to
what success.

Any input would be appreciated.