Old 18-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Ann in Houston

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Ann in Houston wrote:

A five gallon water jug is much bigger than one
square foot.

You mean, "cubic" foot.

oops! sorry - I did mean cubic.

snip

The jug is 10" in diameter and 14" tall. The volume of a cube is
Length*height*width=1728 cubic inches for a 1' cube. The volume of a
cylinder is Pi*Radius*Radius*height= Pi*5*5*14=1100 cubic inches. Not
surprisingly; smaller than a 12" cube. :-)
--
derek

Well, okay. I can't argue the facts since you went to the trouble to measure
it. It sure seemed close, though. I know that the water bottle also is
sort of cone shaped at the bottom. Do your calculations treat the bottle as
a full cylinder, or did you stop at the top of the neck? That could make a
real difference too. Thanks for being intrigued enough to check it out.