Old 18-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Philip

"David" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Ornata
I will be putting in some perennials, in fact the
Gardening Direct catalogue has just this morning dropped through my
letterbox so I'll be placing an order. The camellia I will be including
also, although I'm not certain how it will fare as although I am on the
coast we suffer from sudden prolonged frosts. I think that I will also
include euonymus for ground cover, I was going to use periwinkle along with
my pachysandra but have decided against in case it takes over. I'm still
waiting for the builders to finish and then I'll get stuck in to it
(probably in the snow!).
Thanks for your input,

Is your soil the right type for Camelia. They like acid soils and
although you can water with Sequestrine to counter the effects of lime
induced chlorosis you will be fighting against nature.

You mentioned a wall somewhere. Walls, or more specifically, the
mortar between the bricks tends to leach alkali into the soil. So
unless you are on an acid soil in the first place things will be
heading in the wrong dirction for your Camelia.

If you really want a Camelia and your soild is alkali, then construct
a raised bed and fill it with ericaceous compost and your Camelai will
love you for it.