Old 15-11-2004, 05:34 AM
Steve

You could mow them all to the ground this fall and then, if you get no
berries at all next year, they were summer bearing.
;-)

OK, let me think of something less drastic....
Look at the canes. If they are fall bearing, all the canes will have
fruited. If half of the canes look like they only had leaves and the
other half (more or less) show signs of used flower/fruit clusters, then
it is summer bearing. How's that?

Steve
PS If you decide they ARE summer bearing, then cut out the used up canes
and leave a good number of the new ones.

Jon wrote:

I just bought a house with raspberry canes planted in the back yard.
I would like to prune and properly maintain them for next year, but I don't
know which variety they are.
How can I tell whether they are summer bearing or autumn bearing canes?
Thank you
Jon
Wisconsin, USA