Old 19-11-2004, 11:34 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from David WE Roberts contains these words:

snip
Now where did I put my snow chains?

#Jingle chains, jingle chains,
In the crisp deep snow:
Stranded cars in all the lanes,
You still cannot go!

Nyaa - nyaaa - nye-nyaaa - nyaaaaa

Very true - the conditions where snow chains are of benefit are extremely
limited - you need at least a couple of inches of settled snow but no snow
drifts or abandoned cars.

Got them over 20 years ago when we lived in Debyshire - to do the last mile
into the hills.

The main roads were clear but they didn't plough or grit the minor roads.

I spent more time taking them off and putting them on than driving with
them.

Without them, however, we would have been stranded for days at a time and I
needed to get to work :-)

No snow here at the moment - but very cold.

Cheers

Dave R