Old 20-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Steve Jackson contains these words:
In message , June Hughes
writes
Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7 or
1947/8?

1947/48.

Sorry June, I think it was 1946-47!

In fact, the winter didn't get going until late January that year but
persisted well into March - a bit before my time of course!

That was what was lodged in my memory - but I put the question with no
prompts.

phew!

Not losing it, after all!

/phew

Not before my time though. My memory was waking up on my seventh
birthday (30th April) to find that the almond tree outside my bedroom
window, which was bloomin' late that year, was covered with a cap of
snow. It was so beautiful - like a Chinese painting - the bare branches
almost black against the bright sky, along with the pink petals of the
flowers all with a Christmas-card covering of snow.

Normality restored.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/