Old 20-11-2004, 07:23 PM
bnd777

"Spider" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Although I have read composting advice which advocates using 'any material
that was once organic', I always have problems when composting potato
peelings. When I subsequently check on my heap or bins, the potato peel

has
sprouted. Breaking off these sprouts does not seem to help - more just

take
their place!
I don't have any other problems when composting, and usually produce 'good
stuff' from my various bins. A neighbour of mine, when she heard, said

she
would *never* put potato peelings on her heap, so I also stopped.

Nevertheless, this seems an awful waste to me. I want to try and compost
them. Am I doing something wrong? I would really be grateful for any
advice or, indeed, anecdotal tales of others' experiences.

Thanks in anticipation.
Spider

Strange but i have never had any problem with potato peelings sprouting in
either my worm bins or my compost bins
If the compost bins are correctly managed so you get a good mix and a hot
heap cant see why there should be a problem

Maybe its because i pile in horse manure and bucket loads of night water !!!