Old 20-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Kay

In article , Spider
writes
Hi Everyone,

Although I have read composting advice which advocates using 'any material
that was once organic', I always have problems when composting potato
peelings. When I subsequently check on my heap or bins, the potato peel has
sprouted. Breaking off these sprouts does not seem to help - more just take
their place!

It's not a problem. Eventually the sprouted plants will die (that tiny
scrap of peeling can't sustain a whole plant indefinitely - the shoots
have to get up to daylight and start photosynthesising, and if you're
constantly dumping more waste on top of them, they can't do that) and
will rot down with the rest.

If you do get a plant that makes it through to the surface, then either
pull it up and add it back to the compost, or leave it to the end of the
season and harvest the tiny new potatoes.

I don't have any other problems when composting, and usually produce 'good
stuff' from my various bins. A neighbour of mine, when she heard, said she
would *never* put potato peelings on her heap, so I also stopped.

Usual reason not to is the risk of carrying disease. This has been
discussed recently in urg. I've never worried about it.

--
Kay