Old 20-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Franz Heymann

news
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling is about

3"
tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

I am totally ignorant about this. What is a desert rose? I know it
only as a mineral. See for example the Hamlyn Guide to Minerals,
rocks and fossils.

It's a name for Alygoyne hakeifolia, and also Aeonium obesum. And

(with
Sturt's name in front) Gossypium sturtianum. I guess it's the

Aeonium
which is meant.

According to the RHS encyclopedia it is Adenium obesum which is the
desert rose.
According to the same book, the only Aeoniums listed are arboretum,
haworthii and tubuliforme

Franz