Old 18-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Scottie

I'd been curious about this, too. My husband, who wants to try every new
thing around, ordered the smallest amount available last week, and since he
wasn't making any move toward using it, I put some seedlings that needed to
go up a pot size in it Sunday.

The mix is part rock (diatomite), some fiber of some kind, and what appears
to be soil. It was moist when I opened the package. It was easy to use --
not hard to get the medium around the roots, but I decided to use it for
plants I wasn't too emotionally attached to.

They included a DVD with our order which is mostly advertising, but also a
clip of the distributor speaking to a southern California Orchid Society.
He mentioned that the Hawaiian growers all liked diatomite and were using it
(but he didn't claim they were using his mix). At any rate, at our meeting
Monday night, our raffle plants were from H&H, and they were in diatomite
and were all beautiful plants. They were also either catt crosses of some
kind or dendrobiums. And, as usual, I didn't win any of them :(

My husband wanted to try it with Paphs or Phrags -- don't remember which. I
think I'll wait and see how my seedlings do -- it's only been a week. I'll
post any results, good or bad, if you're interested.

IMHO, it will have to be awfully good to out grow the media I got from Ray
for s-h. I've had very good luck with that.

Scottie
Texas Gulf Coast

"francis marion" wrote in message
Anyone here heard of, it or used it?

Their web page http://www.aussie-gold.com/ sure makes it sound like the
greatest thing to happen to orchids since sliced bread.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Francis Marion