Old 21-11-2004, 07:27 AM
Franz Heymann

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
. ..

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in

message
Hi All,
I have just germinated a desert rose seed, the seedling is

about
3"
tall now
with 2 leaves on top. I still have it in my propagator.

I am totally ignorant about this. What is a desert rose? I

know
it
only as a mineral. See for example the Hamlyn Guide to

Minerals,
rocks and fossils.

At what point would it be OK to remove it from the propagator

and
transfer
to a windowsill?

Adenium Obesum
Grow as a natural bonsai in a small container.
found a site that seems to answer my own question!
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/AdeniumsofHawaii/

It looks like an interesting plant, but what is the connection

between
it and a bonsai tree?
The RHS encyclopedia describes it as a frost tender perennial
succulent, very prone to rotting.

Adenium obseum is better described as a tender xerophytic pachycaul

shrub
rather than a perennial. Its like an Oleander with a weight problem.

For a botanist, maybe. For a gardener, no.

Franz