Old 21-11-2004, 09:58 AM
bnd777

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Cerumen
writes

"Spider" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Although I have read composting advice which advocates using 'any

material
that was once organic', I always have problems when composting potato
peelings. When I subsequently check on my heap or bins, the potato

peel
has
sprouted. Breaking off these sprouts does not seem to help - more just

take
their place!
I don't have any other problems when composting, and usually produce

'good
stuff' from my various bins. A neighbour of mine, when she heard, said

she
would *never* put potato peelings on her heap, so I also stopped.

Your heap is not getting hot enough, a really well made heap will heat up
enough to kill all spouting peel but that heat is not easy to get if you
only add small amounts of material at a time.

Didn't there used to be some stuff called 'Garotta', which you mixed
with water and poured over the compost heap to assist rotting? Perhaps
they still do it or something similar. Bas just pours hot water on ours
and that does the trick

I have to say I have never had any luck with potato peelings. When we
kept hens and geese (the fox got them one morning) I tried boiling up
the potato skins for feed to no avail.

PS - OT - Hello Chris, I didn't know you posted here.
--
June Hughes

Night water is every bit as good as Garotta and its free