Old 21-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Richard

Jeana wrote in message ...
Richard wrote:
Please help me ID the plant in the pictures below. I've been told it's
a Germander (teucrium). Does anyone know the species and variety? The
pictures were taken in Sacramento, California in November. Thanks for
the help.

http://richard2721.home.mindspring.com/Germander.jpg

http://richard2721.home.mindspring.c...der_Detail.jpg

I don't know which variety you have, but it looks very much like mine,
only different. Mine is called Teucrum Chamaedrys. It would grow to
about a foot high and get floppy if I didn't keep it trimmed for a
hedge. The leaf looks the same though my flowers are more purple

Jeana
Zone 5 Ohio

Jeana, does your Teicrium have silver foliage like the one in the
picture? The description in Sunset Western Garden Book for T.
chamaedrys (aka T. x lucidrys) sounds like the plant but it does not
mention silver foliage. Here's the SWGB entry:
T. x Lucidrys (T. Chamaedrys) Zones 2-24. to 1 ft. tall and 2 ft.
wide, with many upright, woody-based stems densely chothed in toothed
dark green, 3/4 inch long leaves. Red-purple or white summer flowers
in loose spikes (white-flowered form is looser). Attracts bees. Us as
edging, foregreound, low clipped hedge, or small scale ground cover.
Shear back once or twice a year to keep neat and force side branching.
'Prostratum' is 4-6 in. high, spreading to 3 ft. or more.