Old 21-11-2004, 06:00 PM
alice

"orangetrader" wrote in message
Will be moving into a property with a backyard about half an acre and a
front yard about a quarter acre. Right now, these areas are occupied by
three giant oak trees which cast over the house, and the property is
completely fenced in around the perimeter. Besides the oak trees are just
some palms here and there.

I am looking for ideas on what to do with the backyard. We are planning
add a pond somewhere, and have always been facinated with the idea of a
large area of bamboos adjacent to a pond. With the oak trees the backyard
is always shaded there is virtually no sunlight and grass do not even grow
in that area except for a patch here and there.

What type of bamboo should we consider if we move forward with this idea?
We do not know much about bamboo except I bought two small 36" pots of
Budda's belly bamboo from a local grower for $60 a pot. I planted them
onto
the ground in my current resident and they are now about 7 feet tall, and
have spread only about 3 feet in each direction. Very slow growing and
very
expensive. If I wish to plant a large area I need some bigger, taller and
faster frowing variety, but I don't want any vigorous runners either. Any
ideas what would be a good choice (if there is one). Saw some beatiful
black bamboo a few years ago too and a single 10" pot was $250.00 -
expensive.

Location - Fort Lauderdale area - zone 10b

Thanks for any comments.

Take a trip around your area..there is bound to be somebody
who will pay you to take bamboo out of his yard. I have some
kudsu I could send you if you want,

alice