Old 21-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

There did indeed but chicken, or other manure in straw added to the pile
works just as well, or of course the available to all for free golden
liquid that we normally just flush away.

Ah! We had a discussion here around 7 years ago about just that! It
was a very long thread, including a discussion about ladies standing up
to irrigate the compost heap. I can't remember whether or not anyone
said anything about the smell that may or may not result after a few
days.

There is little when it is added to a well-aerated heap, because the
normal ammoniacal smell comes from when bacteria break urea down
semi-anaerobically.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.