Old 22-11-2004, 08:57 AM
BCL

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:11:46 GMT, "Amy Lou"
wrote:

"BCL" wrote in message
news
I have just spent about $1700 on a couple of water tanks plus the
necessary fittings just to store less than $5 worth of water (5000
litres).

Admittedly I will get $400 back from the water board but wonder on
reflection whether it was worth the money and effort just to be able
to water the garden and wash the car!

If you are relying on rain to fill the tank what happens when there is no
rain? No washing the car and the garden goes brown? Perhaps it wasn't worth
it, because it doesn't take long to use up a tank load of water.

No I am not worried about filling them I am more annoyed about the
water that will be running out the overflow. The problem is finding
space for them, I opted for a couple of 2500 litre tanks purely
because finding a space to put them without obstructing or reducing
the convenience and use of the block was hard to do. I should say I
live on a large flat block with an old weatherboard cottage on it so
compared to the McMansions on a postage stamp block that most people
seem to buy today I am probably spoilt for choice. but even so it was
hard finding a place near the best water source that didn't require
council approval etc etc (they don't provided certain rules are
foillowed.)

Actually I don't wash my car (maybe once or twice a year) because I
use my bike or walk most places and I rarely water the garden but I
think you will be amazed how much water actually falls in a rainstorm,
I square metre covered in 1mm of water is a litre. I live in the
Illawarra and the average annual rainfall is about 1340 mm . So even a
6 by 6 metre garage would collect 48000 litres per annum (I hope my
maths is right) The lowest average monthly rainfall of 60mm in July
from the same garage would yield 2100 litres (and the highest monthly
rainfall is over twice that) and I am actually collecting from about 3
times that area. even if the 60mm a month was to become the norm I
think the tanks would be kept reasonably full.

About 10 minutes after I finished plumbing (I use the word loosely)
the tank on the side of my house a thunderstorm erupted and the
heavens opened. My youngest son was fascinated by the water escaping
from the 1mm hole at the base of the first flush device and he
collected five bucket fulls from that source alone. One relatively
short rainstorm nearly half filled one 2500 litre tank merely a couple
of days after it was plonked in place.

Somebody asked about the rebate you get, it is $150 for up to 4000
litre $400 for 4000 to 7000 litre and $500 for over 7000. plus you
also can get an additional $150 if you plumb it into the toilet and/or
washing machine. To be honest in an old house like mine the latter
isn't worth the effort you would be better off using buckets. retro
fitting is expensive. This is from Sydney Water which covers my bit of
the Illawarra too.

Regards
Bruce