Old 22-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Andrew G

"Robo" wrote in message
u...
I've recently bought a new house, it has a pine tree in the front which
provides the site with dappled light during the day. You wouldn't call it

lawn but grass is growing and over the last 6 weeks I have planted out

tube
stock. What I want to do now is lay newspaper (to kill the weeds and

grass)
and overlay a mulch (Greenlife Mulch & Compost to improve soil structure).

1. Am I dreaming thinking that newspaper will kill the grass?

It may help, but just be wary that when watering these tubestock with paper
around them the water (or rain) will not get down as easily. On the same
note once the ground is soaked, it will not dry out quite as quick directly
below the newspaper. Probably spraying carefully around the tubestock and
adding mulch would be enough.

2. If newspaper will suppress the weeds and grass, now many sheets of
newspaper should I use.

Pretty thick as it breaks down and doesn't kill runners instantly. I would
imagine the sunday telegraph (e.g. only), cut down the "spine" (in half)
should do 2 tubestock.
I recently pulled up the white back plastic for sale signs that I spread on
a disused garden bed to place pots on temporarily. It was down for 2 months.
Runners from couch had moved in about 20cm from the edge (though couch was
discoloured), and part of a nearby nasturtium (sp?) was living under it.
At a guess I think the lack of the heat created by the sign and reflection
from the white underneath could have allowed the grass and nasturtium to
live.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Rob