Old 22-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Andrew G

"scott" wrote in message
One side of my house (which doesn't get a lot of sunlight) has lots of
moss growing on the ground and against the side wall. Given there are
so much moss growing, does this indicate there is a moisture problem?

It is slightly moist to grow the moss, but also by having moss there
previously there will be many spore ready to thrive in the right condition.
I know of a spot at work where moss thrives in a spot, on concrete where it
doesn't get much moisture, but it gets no direct light at all, but refection
from nearby concrete which is very white. I think the morning dew is enough
to keep it thriving all day.

I have had problem with rising damp with the house a few years ago, so
should I completely remove all the moss growing on the side wall? Will
it reduce the chance of having rising damp problem again?

I would remove it considering the problem you had with the house, and it
will definitely only help as it will allow airflow to the wall.

Will there be any problems if I don't do anything and allow the moss to
grow rampantly?

Considering you have had a rising damp problem, then I'd get rid of the
moss. I think copper sulfate gets rid of it, either sprinkled on or made
into a spray.

Good luck