Old 22-11-2004, 07:26 PM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

NEWS FLASH

The book "100 Tree Myths" by one of the foremost authorities worldwide
(SHIGO) today is now out of print. The book though, is online at:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardt...0TM/index.html

We hope you enjoy this. Please let me know how it looks on your computer.
I would love to hear from people who appreciate this type of stuff.
You can email at .

Other hard to get docs can be found he
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/hardtoget/index.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

"paghat" wrote in message
news
I am undertaking a big landscape job here on Puget Sound, and there are a
lot of young paper-birches with birch gall on each side of the property,
mostly twelve to eighteen foot little trees, each with at least a few
"knots" in the higher branches, some with a great many of these knots. I
have to make the decision whether or not to remove all these birches, & am
leaning toward replacing them with fruiting trees. But before I start
getting rid of two dozen young trees, I would welcome opinions from anyone
with experience with birch gall, since this is my first encounter that I
personally had to do anything about, & I'm not at all certain what's best.
Some questions:

Can the birch gall mites infect any other shrubs & trees other than

birches?

The gall isn't apt to damage the longevity or general health of the tree,
but I gather it can make the leaves look pretty crappy. If some or all the
birches are left where they're at, will foliage look pretty decent even
with gall?

I also gather that miticides don't work very well even for the non-organic
gardeners who don't mind using them. I don't want to use such chemicals,
but wonder if there are any risks to just ignoring the presence of birch
gall mites?

Is the standard advice to remove & replace these trees to be taken

seriously?

If I do remove these trees I want to do it now while the mites are dormant
& I have a better chance of burning every one of the little *******s. I'm
hoping they're not apt to attack the ornamental maples or fruit trees
since usually each gall is species-specific & no future birches will be
planted. If they are by & large harmless, though, I could view the two- &
three-inch knots in the branches as being themselves rather ornamental.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"