Old 22-11-2004, 10:15 PM
NWalch

My questions are

1) will I need a filter if I dont have fish

No. However it will likely get algae unless you have UV system, or use
algicide from time to time. Are you planning to have plants in it (can be
affected by algicide whatever the makers claim, IME)
Is there any particular reason why it will be so deep? Seems unnecessary if
you just want a fountain to look at.

So just use a UV system but not a full filter (I've seen filters with
UV cleaners in them but I guess that OTT if no fish)

I think I might have a few plants and I prefer to avoid chemicals if
possible.

Not really sure why I chose that deep, probably in case I want fish in
future (no plans but you never know)

2) How do I get the pump\lights cable into the pond. Is it usual to
run it under the paving in which case what about maintence. I plan on
having a junction box at the edge of the paving 'hidden' by plants.

I prefer low voltage devices (uses a transformer inside the house) rather
than 240v. In either case, put the cable inside hose pipe buried at least 9
inches deep (instructions will say how deep) if its 240V or for low voltage,
a few inches is fine. I think you can get armoured hose pipe or special
pipes for 240v cable, but you will need to check, anyway for your needs low
voltage will be fine, why increase the risk of electrocution for the sake of
£20 extra for low voltage?

Good idea although I'm not sure how/where I'm going to connect the
power supply once I get it into the house so a transformer would be an
added problem especially if its not very small and buzzes. I'm sure
I've seen one with an external transformer. If not I'd certainly go
for armoured cable for 24v.