Old 23-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Shagster

Has anyone ever tried dosing Augmentin, or other antibiotic, as an
alternative to Myacin??

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com wrote in message
Shagster wrote:

Now suddenly, I have a major problem with BGA covering everything..
Even after massive water changes every 2-5 days, and having removed
95% of all of my plants...it still persists.

Two approaches...

BGA is a bacteria, so a course of antibacterial treatments with Myacin
will clear your tank pretty well. I just did this a couple of weeks
ago, and my tank looks a LOT better. Note that while this eliminates
the BGA, it doesn't address the underlying causes of it. Which leads to
the other approach...

Do a search on Google groups for Tom Barr, posting with the name
tcbiii. He has detailed a method that involves blackout, which he and
others report very good success with. Look for a thread in
rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants, titled Black Slime Algae, on Oct 28. The
exchange appears heated at a couple of points, but it's actually pretty
informative.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com