Old 23-11-2004, 12:52 AM
mel turner

"P van Rijckevorsel"
wrote in message ...
mel turner schreef
"No"?

Care to elaborate and clarify?

***
Well, I can try.
* * *

Thanks.

No, _Acacia farnesiana_ wasn't classified as a member of _Acacia_
subgenus _Acacia_,

***
No, that is not it. That is correct, as far as it goes.
* * *

or no, the group containing the type species of
_Acacia_ won't be the group that must be considered _Acacia, s.s._
in any revised classifications?

***
This too is eminently correct, but you are missing something
* * *

Okay, now I get it [way to be coy!], having looked further, e.g.:

http://treesociety.mweb.co.zw/news.htm
and
http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/APOL35/sep04-7.html & esp.
http://www.worldwidewattle.com/infogallery/taxonomy/

So,
Orchard and Maslin [2003] have proposed conserving the generic name
_Acacia_ with a new type species [A. penninervis], one of the
phyllode-bearing species, in place of the earlier-accepted
type species A. nilotica. [This asking for an special exemption from
the usual rules of nomenclatural may rankle a bit, I suppose, but their
proposal has the advantage of requiring many fewer name changes.
There are far fewer species in Acacia subgenus Acacia than there are
in the phyllode-bearing group].

If their proposal is ratified and adopted [which seems likely, although
there are a few steps remaining] then apparently the genus name
_Vachellia_ will be used for the former "Acacia subgenus Acacia", and
the name _Acacia_ will become restricted to the phyllode-bearing clade
[again, which includes some species without phyllodes].

With regard to your earlier suggestion that the bipinnate New Mexico
species may belong to the genus Acaciella, well, yes and no.

***
I checked, and indeed Acacia farnesiana is quite unlikely to end up in
Acaciella, although other American species will.

Sorry to be so mysterious. I am just curious to see how fast the word
spreads

Word of Orchard & Maslin's proposal, and its progress through
the botanical legal system?

Orchard, A.E. and Maslin, B.R. (2003). Proposal to conserve the
name Acacia Mill. (Leguminosae: Mimosoideae) with a new type.
Taxon 52: 362 - 363.

http://taddeo.ingentaselect.com/vl=2...v52n2/s31/p362
http://www.worldwidewattle.com/infogallery/taxonomy/
http://www.worldwidewattle.com/infog...chronology.php