Old 23-11-2004, 03:36 AM
Phisherman

On 22 Nov 2004 09:14:26 -0800, wrote:

Well, I have been told a billion times that autumn is the time to plant
and feed, so having bought a home with about 3 patches of grass, I
rented a tiller and tilled up about 6" of soil, fed it, seeded it,
tamped it, fed it and seeded it again, covered it with hay and started
watering.

After about 3 weeks, nothing has come up. I noticed a few sprouts
yesterday, but it just doesn't look good.

Now, is it possible that this is just an autumn dormancy thing and come
spring I'll have a beautiful, deep-green lawn sprouting up, or have I
done something wrong? I've got the lawn covered with hay, but of course
I won't be able to leave it there all winter...

Thanks,
fnord

Do not use hay on the lawn (you'll end up with lots of unwanted
plants). Use straw. Most seed will come up in 7-10 days. You may
have bad seed.