Old 23-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Chookie

In article ,
scott wrote:

One side of my house (which doesn't get a lot of sunlight) has lots of
moss growing on the ground and against the side wall. Given there are
so much moss growing, does this indicate there is a moisture problem?

I have had problem with rising damp with the house a few years ago, so
should I completely remove all the moss growing on the side wall? Will
it reduce the chance of having rising damp problem again?

I doubt it. The moss is growing there *because* it's damp, cool and doesn't
get much sun. If you make the area dryer, you won't get so much moss.

If you've had a problem with rising damp, did the people explain why the
ground was wet? Is there a spring on that side of the house, for example? Or
does the block drain that way and channel the water there?

My suggestions a
1. If the problem is serious, you could trench and put in ag pipe to drain
the water somewhere more useful.
2. If it's not an extreme problem, you could just turn your side passageway
into a fern garden or similar to make use of the damp conditions. The
water-lovers will suck some of the moisture away from your foundations.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet