Old 23-11-2004, 06:13 AM
Theo

HI Julian

JRA BONSAI wrote:

Theo,

The answer is not simple. However... I do not grow tropicals, only temperate
climate hardy plants in zone 6.5

I am in Zone 7 Geneva Switzerland 5 needle pines azaleas and maples

If one uses a soiless mix (e.g. 80% Turface
or similar),

this is what I am tending to do as well with red lava or 3-4 mm
granite grit
Micronutrients are important although more so for some species
than others. Micro nutrients are not essential throughout the year. Bonsai
use different things at different times of their annual cycle. I use a
commercial product called Micromax once per year,

Exactly the same I have , is traded by Heuer a yellowish powder

in the early spring just as
the buds are opening. 1/2 level teaspoon per gallon of soil in the pot gives
near miraculous results in the color, quality, and substance of leaves on the
bonsai.

this is what I give

My observation is taht the trace elements provided are most needed
when the new leaves are forming but are of very limited use after the leaves
have hardened off. At that point regular fertilizers seem to have enough stuff
in them to keep the juices flowing properly. Regular use of micro
nutrientscould actually be toxic to some plants.

I know ,as for us too many vitamines :-)

I give a little pinch of Micromax in november .. a little less
than a cofee spoon for 2 aq ft pot

But I was wondering if more was needed ....
now you fully answered to my question

You say that it is no use to give it all year round , and is also
logic as during the period of growth and fertilization the
microelements are contained in the fertilizer cakes or fertilizer like
Biogold
Thanks again you ended my quest :-)

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :