Old 24-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Sacha

On 24/11/04 9:17, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

[snip]

All along the Labour party has presented
this as a concern for animal welfare. Now they admit it isn't. To

me,
that's very simple.

Please give a reference to a statement by the Labour Party which
suports your opinion on the matter. If you fail, I will inform you
that the Conservative Party has said that it will reintroduce hanging
for murder.

From the Guildford Labour arty site:
Local MP defends her support for hunting
Sue Doughty has consistently voted for the continuation of hunting on a
number of spurious grounds.

* She claims that hunting is the 'least worst' method of killing foxes
because the alternative of shooting may result in the fox being wounded to
later die a long lingering death. So apparently she thinks that the slow
death of a fox is more cruel than the quicker ritualised slaughter of
hunting when the fox is subjected to a terrifying chase to the point of
exhaustion, then savaged by the dogs and ripped apart whilst still alive.
* That really the argument is essentially a 'touch of class warfare' -
the fox hunters' main argument. Neither Sue Doughty nor the hunters seem to
appreciate that it is ONLY an issue of animal cruelty. That is the reason
for the ban, for exactly the same reasons that cock fighting and bear
baiting were banned.
From the Watford Labour Party site:
Watford Labour Party welcomes fox hunting ban
*
Claire Ward was amongst the overwhelming majority of MPs who have voted in
the Commons to ban fox hunting with dogs.
*
In the debate on the Bill, which is due to be passed over to the House of
Lords for a final decision next month, Claire said: ģI think fox hunting is
a brutal activity that should have been banned a long time ago.

Remarks by Tony Blair:

Press conference, 7 September 2004: "In relation to hunting my personal
position remains the same"

Breakfast with Frost, 29 September 2002: "I think it is cruel and I do not
understand why people want to do it in that way....I have voted in a
particular way in the past and I retain that view about fox-hunting."

Lobby Briefing 17th January 2001: "In answer to questions about the Prime
Minister's view on hunting, Alastair Campbell said the Prime Minister
believed that hunting was cruel". [from the 10 Downing Street website]

http://www.labour.org.uk/news/foxhuntingbill

This links uses the word 'cruelty' several times as its concern.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)