Old 24-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it both
| flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell is
| deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
| I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies but
| I'm very cautious....... ;-)

A quick look led me to lots of sites, and another found essentially
no matches for 'Myrtus poisonous' except for a New York one that
muttered about myrtles including those terrible substances tannins
and volatile oils. I found at least one site that referred to the
family as being non-poisonous.

Obviously your decision, but I would have a go. I have still not
eaten more than the odd black nightshade berry and don't intend to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.