Old 24-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Pam - gardengal

"pc macdonald" wrote in message
om...
In an unreferenced rec.gardens post from Feb 28, 1997, "Acid-loving
plants (long)", Frank Monroe's material states that african violets
are in the category of plant that thrive in a soil pH of 4.5 to 5.5
That's _very_ acidic.

Most formulae I find for african violet soil include lime, which is
very caustic (raises pH.) For example, the formula included in the
pot by The Violet Pot recommends:

2 quarts peat moss
1 quart vermiculite
1 quart pearlite
1 cup powdered lime
2 cups dehydrated cow manure

I was reluctant to include either the manure or the lime as they are
both so powerful, and I was concerned I would damage the plants (isn't
manure caustic? you can sure smell the ammonia...)

What's up with this?

The recommended formulation should be *slightly * acidic - 6.0-6-5 pH. Use
equal parts regular houseplant potting soil (never use regular garden soil
for containerized or houseplants - too heavy and won't drain freely),
perlite and peat. No compost, no lime.

pam - gardengal